Tuesday, April 24, 2012

In This Chair

I spent many minutes (hours?) in this and other rocking chairs today. Were it not for the read-aloud portions of my day, I would not like my job half as much. I love the attention children give to books, the way they lean in or mimic things from the text, their completely transparent expressions as they imagine and empathize. It is a blessing and an honor to promote literacy in this intimate- and lovely - setting.

Today several books rested in my lap or were clutched in my hands...The Camping Trip That Changed America by Barb Rosenstock, Animal Masquerade by Marianne Dubuc, "Your Question for Author Here" by Kate DiCamillo and Jon Scieszka in Guys Read Funny Business, Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (the Miss Franny Block and the bear chapter and when Opal gets a the collar and leash at Gertrude's Pets), and Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant (when Kona goes back to find Stumpy and when Murray discovers Oreos in Professor Albert's kitchen).

6 comments:

  1. such beautiful perspective on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading a beautifully illustrated book while sitting in a rocking chair with childen at your feet, giving you rapt attention sounds like a terrific activity to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to visit and read anytime, Kate.

      Delete
  3. And you are an expert at reading your audience, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo brings happy memories of the times I've spent in your library, either sharing lunch with you or listening to you share books with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be my favorite part of the day, too - that reading aloud from the rocking chair . . .

    ReplyDelete