Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dissection Digestion



I am reading Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant to second graders this month. This is a snippet from a recent chapter and the ensuing discussion:


"Professor Albert had never been an amateur when it came to sleeping. Years of standing beside philosophy majors trying to label the insides of frogs had taught him the fine art of turning off his brain whenever he wished. So he turned it off and went back to sleep."

A hand raises.

Yes?

Why would someone label the insides of frogs?

Well, in biology class, you will dissect frogs to understand how body parts work.

So, do you have to cut them open?

Yes.

Are they alive?

No.


Another hand raises. In my sister's class [this is grade 10], they dissected pigs. Groans all around.


A different student raises his hand. I don't think I can digest that.

7 comments:

  1. Comments and questions appear predictable until the last comment. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss all these discussions if I were not a school librarian...it's why I've stayed in the job even when I am frustrated by other things.

      Delete
  2. i certainly couldn't "digest" dissection. i was notorious for tossing my cookies on dissection days. i finally got a pass from the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that surprises me, Brattcat. I simply did not take biology so I could avoid the experience!

      Delete
  3. I like your photo. One of these guys is hanging out in my rhubarb leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen this one on the faucet. I'll have to go in the backyard and check under the rhubarb, Joyce.

      Delete
  4. I love the glimpses into time with students and their beautiful brains.

    ReplyDelete