Thursday, April 12, 2012

Explaining Puns


When we chose Chopsticks as this week's read-aloud selection, neither my teaching partner nor I expected we would need to explain all the puns that made us laugh. Gosh, have we been surprised - even with the intermediate grades! When Chopstick is "whisked away" after an injury, the teachers chuckle. I take time to explain the dual meanings to them. A few more show understanding when "no one stirred, not even Spoon" is read. It gets better with each phrase until they all nod, saying, "I get it!" at Knife's call for a toast (since he is so sharp). No doubt they will be listening closely for puns in the upcoming days!

1 comment:

  1. I think that both puns and irony are tough literary concepts for kids to understand. Maybe they just don't think adult humor is funny, at least my grand-kids feel that way sometimes!

    ReplyDelete