Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Like


Also in honor of National Poetry Month, we decided to add poetry readings to our morning announcement broadcasts. Several teachers and classrooms volunteered for time slots, but no one was willing to do it yesterday. So, despite my absolute semi-fear of being on camera, I agreed to read a poem with my dear teaching partner. We tried out several before deciding on "I Like" from Mary Ann Hoberman's book You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together. For those who are not familiar with the book's format, there are words aligned on the left in one color, words aligned on the right in another color, and words in the center for the pair to read together. This particular story poem was perfect for two librarians as the only thing they both like is reading! In reality, we both like quality dark chocolate, art, exceptional books, taking walks, sharing books, excellent brownies, and time with interesting people...and a whole lot more.

The children apparently loved our shared reading. Many came to tell us, and one dear girl wanted the same book today - and then read the story poem with me. That was worth being on camera.

8 comments:

  1. so glad you overcame your fear. you sweetened the day for all who heard you and continue to do so with this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe how many more children want to find that poem now, Brattcat!

      Delete
  2. I bet you were both marvelous! This chocolate cake looks marvelous, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake is from Rosie's Bakery in Boston, Joyce. You should go there next time you visit.

      Delete
  3. I wonder why my comments are not appearing; I suppose I forget a step or two.

    I miss somethings about teaching, others not so much. I certainly miss Poetry month, and I loved posting poems for morning announcements. Sometimes I still get requests from former colleagues. So glad that you read for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the response we are getting to those morning poems, Kate. We have never had such high circulation of poetry books! We will definitely make this a yearly event.

      Delete
  4. You are making life-long poetry lovers out of your students, the same way my high school English teacher, Tom Diffley, made thousands of high schoolers WANT to be in his poetry class because of his infectious enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, David, how many kids say they don't want to read poems, and then they are suddenly engrossed and enthusiastic. They need an introduction, I guess.

      Delete