Saturday, November 5, 2011

Swirl of a Day

When people tell me to slow down, to be sure not to do too much, to take some time for myself, I assure them I do. Today I enjoyed three hours with my buddy Joyce and her dog Watson. We hiked through the woods around her house, talking about swirls in cinnamon rolls, shells, pumpkin tendrils, leaf stems, squirrels' tails, and more. We imagined what children would like to learn about swirls when she talks to a group. Leaves crunched under our hiking boots. Ripples spread in Bufflehead Pond when we dropped leaves into it. After lunch, I took home signed copies of Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature, Joyce's latest book, illustrated by Beth Krommes.

I love this book for its flowing words as well as the incredible artwork. Each stanza of the text begins by telling what a spiral is: a snuggling shape, a growing shape, a strong shape, a clever shape. Spirals explore the world, hold on to other things, move, twist and stretch. Even the copyright/dedication information is in a spiral! Readers will love looking closely at the illustrations, finding the creatures nestled in spirals underground, identifying the plants, insects, and sea creatures , and imagining the spirals they have witnessed in their worlds. Joyce's fabulous glossary (with Beth's tiny illustrations) provides even more wonderful information about each thing. I keep holding my copy and rereading it this evening, remembering the swirls of the day.

4 comments:

  1. it's so important to notice the soft curls of life. swirls are so comforting, so organic, so forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A treasure to spend those hours walking and talking. You always give me insights, stories and laughter, Library Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must look at the book, Brattcat. You do the same for me, Joyce! So many swirly days have been spent with both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading Joyce's latest...and getting a signed copy. Cinnamon roll swirls...yum, those sound especially good on a chilly autumn day!

    ReplyDelete