I feel strongly that young people deserve and benefit from daily interaction with books, and this film reinforced many of my ideas about literacy and the importance of time spent with picture books. The film is being screened in several locations around the United States. My hope is that it reaches more than the library community!
Some favorite thoughts...
- Books provide the wallpaper and window for the rest of children's lives - Gregory Maguire
- Drawing is the physical form of empathy - Mo Willems
- R.L. Stine only learned to type with his left pointer finger and has used it to type 300 books!
- Reading allows us to rehearse what we might decide to do in a circumstance - Lois Lowry
- "To children, a year is a long time ago." - Mary Downing Hahn
- Prolific is a bad word for Jane Yolen. She prefers versatile instead and wonders why others are not writing more different things.
- David Small's voicelessness (read Stitches for the full story) made him into an artist because tit was impossible to participate socially.