Monday, August 15, 2011

A Message in the Mailbox

Imagine taking a literary tour of someone's house. Each room features story-based switchplate covers, artwork, and accessories that invite exploration. This real house belongs to my sweet friend (who is also a librarian), and I was delighted to finally use the bathroom at her house. Odd? Perhaps, but this bathroom is inhabited by Frog and Toad and features a tiny red mailbox on one wall.

Many children were visiting yesterday, so the mailbox was filled with miniature letters to any who might open the door seeking a piece of mail for themselves. I was also a lucky recipient of a letter.

"Dear Julie,
We were so please to learn that you would be visiting today, as we have considered you an intimate friend for many years. Thank you so much for all of your efforts in introducing the two of us and our literary compatriots to the many children and families in your life. We of course still think of you as the age when we first met you, but we are so proud of who you grew up to be.
Your friends,
Frog and Toad"

I keep opening it to read and reread and will keep it safe in my special box. Did you ever get a piece of mail you treasured so much?

5 comments:

  1. A letter from Frog and Toad! What an honor--and one that you fully deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to add that I still have the goofy notes that my younger son used to write us and place on our pillows so we would find them at bed time. Treasured missives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that they boys left notes on your pillows. Do they recall those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he does. Some of the spelling is . . . interesting. And there are goofy smiley faces on them. I love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to visit this house!
    And yes, I have lots of treasured mail...some of it I will be sharing when I talk about creative letter-writing at your school this fall!

    ReplyDelete