Wednesday, March 7, 2012

One Cool Book


Toni Buzzeo and David Small's collaboration on One Cool Friend resulted in one really cool book. It begins with an offer from Elliott's father to visit the aquarium. Though he does not like crowds and noisy kids, Elliott's polite manners lead him to agree. It was not to be a father/son outing though, as Elliott is sent off while his father reads National Geographic. At the penguin exhibit, he discovers a lovely little Magellan penguin who looks as proper as him. And when he asks his father if he can have a penguin, the excitement and deception begin. The illustrations perfectly complement the text. It is a witty, fun story with an unexpected ending. I loved it so much I had to read it aloud to my teaching partner and dear David LaRochelle on Tuesday morning!

2 comments:

  1. This IS a fun story, and thank you for the treat of reading it out loud to me! I will now always hear your voice when I see this delightful story, and that is a treat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind, David. I do love that last page :)

    ReplyDelete