Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Courage to Knit


Sometimes I need to knit in order to focus during a long or tense meeting. Depending on who is in charge of the meeting, it might take a bit of courage for me to knit. This hat (for a colleague's soon-to-be-born baby) was knit mostly during a tense meeting two weeks ago.

My friend Julie Roth's charming book Knitting Nell is about a young courageous knitter who knits while she walks and even in the bathtub. Some people pick on her because of the odd sound of her voice, but Nell continues to knit, influencing others to learn as well. Nell knits scarves for others and later teaches knitting to many - including the young man who used to pick on her. Julie's lovely illustrations make it a perfect book.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beautiful little woolen strawberry! You are truly a woman of many talents (but I knew that already).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! I do love this hat...I was hoping it looked a bit like a watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been revisiting some of your posts this morning, as you can tell. This hat reminds me of a book, Kiki's Hats, written about a friend and former colleague of mine who lives in St. Paul. A neighbor wrote the book about her, and she really does knit and gives her hats away. My grand-daughter lovingly wears two of Kiki's hats and has given her friends some others. Kiki is every child's friend. Her former students loved her too.

    ReplyDelete