Sunday, March 24, 2013

Minnesota Bug Hunt


As much as I want to have a clean house, I admit to neglecting the chore of dusting. That said, I am always dismayed to find an insect indoors, especially things I think are centipedes. Spiders are less annoying (think about Charlotte as an explanation for my tolerance of them). Just outside the house, earwigs (with their creepy pincers) often reside in my mailbox.

Bruce Giebink's new book Minnesota Bug Hunt has been helpful in identifying some of the other insects I encounter outdoors. Organized by habitat (backyards, grassland prairies, forests, ponds, and oak trees), the book is crawling with facts about commonly seen bugs in my state. Bold type indicates insect names and defined words, making it an excellent way for readers to learn key vocabulary in context. The photographs by Bill Johnson are incredibly detailed, showing the stick-like appearance of geometrid moths (inchworms), for example, or the airy froth bubbles created by meadow spittlebugs. The author provides fabulous descriptions of the many insects and includes hints for hunting for bugs outdoors, making this a perfect addition to summer reading lists for young readers.

3 comments:

  1. Dusting? Who dusts? Just blow on the shelves and furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we found a peculiar looking bug one evening and put it outside. the next morning we found another...put that outside. looked up the beetle on the internet...turns out it was a stinkbug. fortunately it never occurred to us to squash it. haven't seen another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of bugs, (Charlotte excepted), but I try to remember to stop to look at their fascinating little structures...like the one in your photo...books like this one help with that, especially when they focus on "the locals"~R
    PS You're reminding me of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate...I think she begins her explorations with grasshoppers...

    ReplyDelete