Thursday, April 28, 2011

Buttons

Sometimes when a book I really want to read arrives in an order, restraint is difficult to find. Today I intentionally did not even open the box in an effort to contain my anticipation.

So, after school I took Anne Ylvisaker's Luck of the Buttons with me for a read walk - and immediately Tugs Button gained status on my list of favorite characters.

"Tugs used to think that everyone's name was in the dictionary, and when she had realized it was only hers, both Tugs and Button, she felt suddenly fond and possessive of it, as if this book were put here for her guidance alone." (p. 43)

Tug incorporates rapscallion into her vocabulary after being called one and then seeking its meaning in the revered dictionary. She forms an unlikely friendship with Aggie Millhouse, Goodhue's most prominent young citizen. Her fascination with picture making/picture taking leads to a charming relationship with Eldora and Elmira, the Thompson Twins, and their incredible camera collection. A sixth sense about mischief helps her warn others about the sly gentleman who claims he will bring progress to Goodhue, Iowa in 1929.

Instead of giving away too much, I will stop...and encourage you to read this lovely novel. Also check out Anne's wonderful blog entries to discover stories behind Luck of the Buttons: http://www.anneylvisaker.com/.


5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one, Julie! Anne is not only a great writer, but a treasured friend. I'm happy to hear her latest book is such a hit. I'm hoping to hear Anne read and sign books when she comes to Minnesota in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly can sell a book. I'm eager to have this one by my bed. And i love the photograph of buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can borrow our copy, David, if you want to read it prior to Anne's visit.

    The buttons belonged to my great aunt, Brattcat. They came in a huge old hat box. I love running my fingers through them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a box of buttons like that from my grandmother! And am REALLY looking forward to reading this book. Will keep my eye out for Anne's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Lorraine worked at a fur company and had gorgeous buttons! Mostly there were only singles leftover from coats. Anne will be at the RB on the 14th at 2:00. Do you want to meet there, Joyce?

    ReplyDelete