Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Another New Year


Winter break is done, and the requests from colleagues have trickled in to my inbox: penguin books for kindergarten classes, book talk examples for one third grade class, good and bad book review examples for another third grade group, book talks for two fourth grade classes. My mind is so swirling with titles and ideas that I wonder if I will be able to sleep! For now, I am going to read about writing and life experiences through Ann Patchett's words in This is the Story of a Happy Marriage. It is a collection of her essays that I am enjoying immensely. Consider this line from "The Getaway Car: A Practical Memoir about Writing and Life."

"Why is it that we understand playing the cello will require work, but we attribute writing to the magic of inspiration...The art of writing comes way down the line, as does the art of interpreting Bach." - p. 29

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, love the Patchett quote, and now I'll look for the book. Sounds as if you have a LOT of work coming up -- but it also sounds intriguing and fun and I'm sure you're very good at it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though not a writer, I so enjoy books by writers about writing (Monica Wood, Anne Lamott, even Steve King's On Writing. I will also look for the book. Do tell, who made the perfect snow man?! PS I think your governor showed good judgement in closing down in such temperatures.

    ReplyDelete