A package arrived in yesterday's mail from the Extended Shelf Life Fan Club. Most folks are not aware of the club's existence, but those in office must know me well. Inside the mailer was an angelically wrapped square green box. Inside the box was a bracelet of art snippets (and two pins) from my favorite picture book, Make Way for Ducklings. From one clasp to the other, the images include
- a mother and son reading on a bench in the Public Garden
- a bottle floating in the river when Mr. Mallard is leaving for his "trip to see what the rest of the river was like, further on"
- an egg from Mrs. Mallard's nest
- the 6th duckling (Ouack?) getting ready to step off the curb while Michael holds up traffic
- Mrs. Mallard's jaunty bill and head as she looks at the traffic Michael has kept at bay)
- Michael himself, whistle in his mouth
The pins show Mrs. Mallard and her brood quacking as Michael comes running and tweeting his whistle and the duckling looking up ate his father just after hatching.
What a treasure! Thanks to that club for such a wonderfully fitting gift. I wore them to school today in celebration and in honor of an annual event in the library courtyard. More on that tomorrow.