Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gender-Biased

My friend Joanne tells me I live in a man cave. Talk around the dinner table is not always what I would wish. The movies they want to see do not generally rank high on my list of must-see films. And there are other things, of course.

May Amelia Jackson lived in much the same way back in 1900 in Washington State along the Nasel River. This fictitious young girl suffered the taunts of seven brothers (only a few of whom were ever nice to her) and a father who saw no need for girls. The boys mercilessly called her names, yet May Amelia finds trouble for herself, all the while looking for her sisu, her Finnish guts and courage. The Trouble With May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm is a worthy sequel to her Newbery Honor book of 2000.

Some friends completely understand that gender bias in my household and bring me plants or flowers or blood orange blossoms (thanks to another former man cave dweller for bringing me this B.T. McElrath Chocolatier product yesterday).

1 comment:

  1. you, my dear, have wonderful friends, both real and fictional. perhaps it is your reward for surviving the man cave.

    ReplyDelete