Monday, January 10, 2011

Giddiness


In my world, I liken this day to the Academy Awards for the film world. So many of the books I love and share with readers are award winners (see some of my favorites), and anticipating the next winners is a conversation topic with my teaching partner and other book lovers.

Truly, I was giddy with excitement as I anticipated announcement about the American Library Association's Youth Media Awards this morning. Many of the named books were favorites from 2010. Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night is an extraordinary mixture of poetry and facts. Clare Vanderpool's Moon Over Manifest is a poignant story of discovery and acceptance. Told by street-smart Abilene Tucker, the book incorporates the history of World War I and the Depression while providing a wonderful glimpse into how friends of all ages support us in our life's endeavors. Margi Preus's Heart of a Samurai captivated me with the strong narration by Manjiro, a Japanese boy who is befriended by an American sea captain and who eventually returns to his country after years of living in New England. The historical notes in this book (and Manjiro's own artwork) are fascinating.

I am grateful to be part of a profession where excitement about books prevails in readers of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment