Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Jacket Memories

My mom faithfully took my brother and me to the public library each week for storytime and to check out books. I remember being a bit apprehensive about leaving her to go the room, but I was always anxious to return to the children's section. Just inside the doorway was a playhouse, furnished simply with a wooden table and chairs. It had an doorless entry and a window on each side. Basic as houses go. The exterior was its extraordinary feature. Instead of paint or paneling or siding, this house was covered in book jackets. I loved it! I loved running my fingers over my favorite covers: Don Freeman's Corduroy, Virginia Lee Burton's The Little House, Maj Lindman's Snipp, Snapp, and Snurr books or Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka books, and Marjorie Flack's The Story About Ping. How wonderful it felt to enter that book house, literally covered with beloved characters and illustrations! The book house did not make it to the remodeled children's section, but it lives magically in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment