Monday, February 21, 2011

Warm Winter Day

I love winter. Really. I prefer winter's chill to summer's heat and humidity. I love snow (and more snow like we received today). I love winds that swirl the snow into mini-tornadoes. I love donning layers and heading out for a brisk walk.

But most of all, I love winter's warmth. Lauren Stringer but that love into words in her beautiful book Winter is the Warmest Season. Winter is warm with hot chocolate, grilled cheese sandwiches, oven-hot breads, hot baths, and blankets. "In winter, bodies sit closer, books last longer, and hugs squeeze the warmest," writes Lauren.

The birds did not visit the snow-covered feeder today (neither did the squirrels), but I watched for them as I stitched patterns of a warm quilt, drank hot tea, and savored numerous books (Sir Charlie by Sid Fleischman, The Rooster Prince of Breslov by Ann Redisch Stampler, Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses by Claire Dederer, and the beginning of Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage by Hazel Rowley). Now I am ready to snuggle close with the other winter-lovers in my house.

3 comments:

  1. I'm planning to use Lauren's Stringer book tomorrow for a writing activity. I too love the way winter is depicted in this book. Thanks for the gift of so many good books! Thanks also for continuing to share your passion for books with so many! Enjoy the warmth of the season! It's the perfect season for curling up with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of us would love to curl up with you, a mug of hot chocolate on one side, a book open in our laps...particularly if it's a book you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I SHOULD have enjoyed yesterday's snow. I know I SHOULD have thought it looked beautiful, and I would have thought so in November. But I think winter has gone on long enough for me. I do agree, however, about Lauren Stringer's wonderful winter book. I love the cleverness of it as well as the delicious paintings, and she convinces me totally that winter IS the warmest season!

    ReplyDelete