Saturday, February 5, 2011

Books for Breakfast


Start with 25 authors and illustrators and 250 teachers, librarians and book-lovers gathered for breakfast through the Children's Literature Network. Add to that a creative puzzler (David LaRochelle) whose table game got the room buzzing and thinking about book content. Mix in willing volunteers (like my helpful mother and youngest son) and lots of books. Blend in book reviews, connections with colleagues, a lovely video version of The Princess and Her Panther (illustrated by my friend Lauren), jokes and laughter, and memories of past gatherings. The result? A joyful morning celebration of literacy that goes on my gratitude list for today.

3 comments:

  1. Now that's a recipe that begs to be cooked up at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS a grand morning, and a day for which I was grateful also. I delighted in seeing people tackle my table contest, and I have a whole list of books I want to read after hearing all the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to see such richness here. What wonderful people! My favorite thing, though, was watching Casey with the gift baskets. I had a seat up front, so I got to see him looking fetchingly bashful. What a great kid!

    ReplyDelete