Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Backwards Lesson

From inside the kindergarten room, these snowpeople display character! From the parking lot, they are mere outlines of their showy selves.

A young reader today needed guidance to see those two perspectives from inside and outside a flower shop. She brought Joyce Kessler's book Valentine's Day to me and asked me what the words said in Karen Ritz's illustration above the blooms and greenery and people. I brought her to the library work room where a mirror hangs over the sink. "Hold up your book," I told her. Immediately she exclaimed, "Flower Shop!" We looked a few times at the magically transformed letters and enjoyed a backwards lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, that you showed her instead of told her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those snowmen look like they are dancing in the outside snow!

    ReplyDelete