Thursday, August 29, 2013

Three Mentions


When teaching children about research, we stress triangulation of sources. Find the information in three sources to confirm its validity. A similar sort of thing happened with a book recommendation this summer. The Brattcats recommended the book in June. Another friend recommended it in July. While navigating my way through the London Underground, I saw it advertised several times. And so, I came to read Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple this week.

It is a quirky mystery of sorts about an incredibly innovative architect named Bernadette, her insightful and witty daughter Bee, her driven and slightly obsessed husband Elgie, and their almost unbelievable trip to Antarctica. Some of the story is narrated by Bee, but much of it is revealed in the messages, transcripts, and letters that Bee presents chronologically. I loved being in her world and wished I could have prolonged my summer break instead of heading to school some mornings! I'll add my recommendation to those I received.

2 comments:

  1. For me, Brattcat is a pretty good place to start. I'll look for this in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked this book out of the library, just started it!!! I won't read your description of what it's about until I finish...My source was an independent book shop reading list.

    ReplyDelete