Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reading, Giggling, Munching


The neighbor kids (aged 2 and 4) joined me for books, puzzles, dominoes (not the traditional game, rather the one where they are set in a line and tipped in sequence), and treats yesterday. After last week's visit, I realized how much I like my books in order, and I how important it is for me to take good care of them. So, instead of having them pull random books from the shelves this week, I pre-selected books for us to share. They loved Derek Anderson's Gladys Goes to Lunch and commented on the zookeepers on each page. They had never heard Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and were shaking their heads, saying "No" whenever the pigeon begged to be the driver. But Laura Numeroff's books were the biggest hit this week. We read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, If You Take a Mouse to School, and If You Give a Moose a Muffin in succession. They giggled at the mouse and moose and gladly ate chocolate chip cookies on the deck for a snack in the sun. I am blessed to spend time with developing readers who adore books so much!

8 comments:

  1. And those readers are blessed to spend time with you, such a great book lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know with the grandkids, there is something special about seeing things from a child's perspective.

      Delete
  2. What a good neighbor you are!! Those kids are truly blessed to have you as a friend. Re. your comment on my X-cellent crepes post...I'd love to meet you for coffee and treats. St. Luke's parking lot on Fridays doesn't have the ambience for treats and chatter, but, if you're interested, I'd gladly meet you at Black Bear Cafe in the Como Pavilion on Lexington Avenue sometime. Next week we're going to Door County but the week after would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that, Kate. How about the week of July 9th? I am going to visit our mutual friend for a week and could meet when I return.

      Delete
    2. That sounds perfect. Name the day and time; my email address is: mura.kate@gmail.com

      Hope you have a splendid get-together.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful memories you are making! And I can't think of a better person to share a cookie with after reading "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbeatable combination--books and cookies, especially when the reader is someone who is passionate about books.

    ReplyDelete