Sunday, November 17, 2013

Big Snow


Ever since I was a little girl, I have waited for the big snow to come in the late fall, hoping each year it would arrive earlier. Skating, building snow creatures, sledding. I loved winter. I still do. Like David, the young boy in Jonathan Bean's new book Big Snow, I found things to do while I waited. This boy, however, does not wait patiently. His mom suggests he help her make cookies. "But then the flour, white and fine, made David think of snow." His mom uses a dustpan and broom to clean the snow from the kitchen floor. Yet when he goes outside to check the weather, fine, white snowflakes were falling. He runs across the yard jubilantly. Later, he helps his mom clean the bathroom (think white and fluffy snow) and put clean sheets on the guest bed (think white and cool snow). His mother's expression with each cleaning effort appears more frustrated. Outdoors, however, the white, fluffy, cool snow changes the landscape. The artwork on each page adds details to the story, making it he perfect book to read aloud this week as we look forward to big snow.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read this! I too LOVE snow, it's what brought me up north to live, years ago. (But I get sad that we have less of it, or a different sort of wet snow these years.) There are many picture books on snow that I love, but Shulevitz's Snow is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, how wonderful to appreciate snow as a child. Lovely glass ornament; I'd hang it in my window.

    ReplyDelete