Friday, May 6, 2011

I Wonder

I wonder what schools would be like if all teachers guided children through the inquiry learning experience. Would they be places where students could seek answers to their questions and share it in the best ways they know? Would teachers and students learn together about topics like the wondering fourth graders at my school have have done with their teacher and me? Would teachers be amazed at students' abilities to find information and share it with their classmates?

Pride bubbled from me and their classmates this week as students shared what they learned. They gave each other high-fives after completed presentations. They displayed incredible vocal abilities when reading comic strips about black holes and World War I. They composed lyrics to familiar tunes to share information (e.g. "Eye of the Panda" to the tune of "Eye of the Tiger").

What amazed their classroom teacher and our principal the most was that we did not need to structure lessons differently for anyone in the class. Inquiry learning differentiates easily by allowing students to choose what they want to know and what sources will help them.

2 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by this way of teaching. It doesn't teach subject matter so much as teaching students how to learn, which is a much more valuable outcome. I wish I had been able to sit in on some of these lessons (I appreciated your invitations). Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, David. I've heard Library Jewel talk about this but I would love to see her in action, to get a feel for what it's like!

    ReplyDelete