Monday, June 16, 2014

Scenic Cookbook


Years ago, our family visited the New Scenic Cafe, located on Minnnesota's "old" Highway 61 along the North Shore. We loved the grilled gruyere, apple, and avocado sandwich so much that we created our own version...and made it part of our dinner meal rotation.

We visited the cafe just last week with friends from Vermont (who also make that grilled sandwich), and the meal was fabulous again. Though I wanted these friends to experience the cafe, then view of Lake Superior, and the excellent food, I also wanted to stop there to purchase a copy of their cookbook, assembled by owner and chef Scott Graden. Mmm. The photographs of the food and North Shore places are stunning, and the recipes abound with the goodness of the things I have enjoyed eating there. The recipe introductions are poetic and intriguing, like the one for the sandwich my friend and I split last week.

"I mix the tempeh, which is made from fermented soybeans and other grains, together with onions, garlic, soy sauce, and white pepper. Then I bring the tempeh together with the deep flavor of dark raisin rye bread, the sour taste of sauerkraut, the earthy tang of Gruyere cheese, and the zest of Russion dressing. The slice of ripe tomato I layer on as well bring in a flavor that helps merge the concept of a Reuben with the fresh flavors of vegetarian cuisine." 

I continue to meander through this thick, thorough cookbook (405 pages), savoring ideas and planning when to make the next recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment