Sunday, March 2, 2014

how to

The caption for this photo would read "how to make the best tea" and would need an explanation of each item. The heating pot prepares the water for the tea from Ostfriesland (where my German sister lives), and the Bredemeijer teapot just arrived yesterday from Germany!

In a recent letter, a well-read friend recommended Julie Morstad's book how to. It arrived at the library for me this week, and I have been reading it aloud to all the adults I love. Like me, they sigh when they see the "how to go slow" page, chuckle at the "how to be a mermaid" page, make sounds like ahhhh on the "how to have a good sleep" page, giggle at the "how to make a sandwich" page, and turn their heads at the "how to watch where you're going" page. And then they, like me, want to go back at read it again, pausing to enjoy favorite pages.

It is a quiet book, a book that begs to be shared with young readers, a book that will foster contemplation and generate other "how to" statements and drawings. The simple statements are filled with thought and possibility, and the artwork is simple yet careful. Take time to read this book - and then share it with friends.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the gift from Germany should suit you to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mailbox must receive continual treasures!! But then, so do the mailboxes of your faraway friends...Who is this well-read friend? Certainly not moi, even though I love How To. I live in frustration at not being able to read as much as I want! But here is a picture book I recommend: Paul Meets Bernadette by Rosy Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also: I just read Paris Cat by Lesley Baker to a broup of library preschoolers. It's nice too for any adult who has been to & loves Paris.

    ReplyDelete