Sunday, August 16, 2020

Really. You Matter.

 

Sometimes I talk to the birds that visit our backyard. I tell them how glad I am to see them, how much I like the colors they add to the landscape, how I hope their families are fine. Perhaps it is silly, but I do like the daily connection with these creatures. I like that all living things exist and depend on each other for well-being. 

As the new school year approaches, there are so many issues that threaten our well-being and the connections we have to each other. And so I am drawn back to this place for sharing books that speak to readers and contribute to the ways we can foster understanding, grace, and acceptance in this world. A good friend is reading books to neighborhood families in her front yard every week. I will soon be reading to a thousand students every week. I decided to begin by reminding readers that they matter.

Christian Robinson’s new book You Matter begins with a girl looking through a microscope to see “small stuff too small to see.” The text tells readers that whether you are like everyone else or not, whether you lead or follow, whether you must get through things on your own or with help, you matter. You might be feeling lost or be missing someone or be far from home, but you matter. With acrylic and collage illustrations that move from small objects and landscapes to the wide universe and back to a neighborhood, the text is enhanced and broadened through the art. It’s a beautiful book that addresses the many emotions readers might be experiencing. And the cover, with smiling children playing parachute, makes me smile in unison as I remember doing the same thing as a child. 

Take time to read it yourself. Read it to someone you love. You matter.

Visit Christian Robinson’s website to learn more about him and get inspired: theartoffun.com

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a surprise, Library Jewel! How the children need to know that they matter! We all need comforting and love in this time that puts us on edges...Those little birds are so dear, no it is not silly to connect with them in a tender, friendly way...
    I wish you the best for the return. I know it's not an easy thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you back in this space, enriching our lives with your book suggestions! Such a welcome surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you matter so much as well, Library Jewel, to so many of us, young and old.

    ReplyDelete