Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Eggs


Many friends have posted photos of the nests and eggs in the planters on their porches, and I am in awe of the beauty in their colors and patterns. It was good timing, then, that Egg: Nature's Perfect Package by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page arrived on my library reserve list. I like being the first person to check out a new book, and this one is beautiful and filled with incredible facts. Organized by topics, the text can be savored fact-by-fact or read in its entirety (and then reread, as I have done). It is perfect for reading aloud to cause astonishment or to foster further reading. I learned so many fascinating things that I could list almost the whole book! The illustrations, of course, make the book shine even brighter. As with all his work, I am awestruck that the art is made from cut paper. Steve Jenkins is a master of that medium.

On another note, I offer thanks to the fan club member who presented me with How to Bake a Book by Ella Burfoot. Perhaps someday I will be able to do just that!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, he achieves that subtle gradation of color with cut paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garden is ringed with birdhouses, mostly bluebirds. Eggs are coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing combination of science & art! I love How to Bake a Book, Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of Steve Jenkins and will have to look for this new one. And if anyone can bake a book, it would be you!

    ReplyDelete