Monday, September 16, 2013

Comfort Poems


I carried a new book with me today and paused several times to read poems to myself and to my colleagues. It is next to me now. Joyce Sidman's soon-to-be-released book What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms & Blessings came into my hands yesterday, and I have been savoring the poems since then. I think Joyce's note to readers is thought-provoking and excellent. She writes about how humans have used language to influence the world throughout time and how she wrote these poems are "for comfort, for understanding, for hope." Each of the four sections begins with definitions of the things included: chant, charm, spell, invocation, lament, remembrance, praise song, and blessing. Pamela Zagarenski's unique mixed media paintings perfectly complement Joyce's words, making this book a beautiful union of images.

To a like-minded fifth grade colleague, I read a chant entitled "A List of Things That Will Set You Free." To colleagues discussing a book about the power of individual talents, I read "Starting Now." I also showed them the hand dropping stars down the opposite page. To my son (who wishes for his own vehicle), I read "Gift Spell." To myself, numerous times during the day, I read "Come, Happiness." And now, as bedtime approaches, I will read "Sleep Charm" again.

I wish all of my reader friends could be with me to listen to a poem or two this evening. For now, watch this book trailer, narrated by Joyce's niece: http://www.joycesidman.com/books/what-the-heart-knows-chants/

1 comment:

  1. Poetry is my favorite genre and will visit the trailer as soon as I finish this. The titles of the poems sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete